Thursday, February 10, 2011

1 Peter 5:2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve.
Acts; Evangelical Examples:
-Must have the spirit first (1:4-5)
-right heart with God (8:9-25)
-compassion, knowing money won’t fix things or last (3)
-Continually praying (2)
-“you will* be my witnesses.”(1:7-8)
=know where their authority comes from (5:29-42)
-*going* (to the temple) (3)
-even speaks truth to enemies (4)
=convicting in speech
-support one another without question (9:20-32) teamwork (11:25-30)
-unity with other believers, sharing all possessions (4:32)
=good deeds (die to the world) story of Ananias and wife (5)
-listen to the instruction of God (8:26-38) (9:11-16)
-evangelize wherever you are (8:4)
=roll with it (8:39-40)
-endure (16:22-34)
-testimonies are important for unbelievers as well (22:1-21)(even if no one listens)
-turning the glory to God (3:12)-humility

                When reading the whole book of Acts in one sitting, I realized that all of the points I had collected on examples of evangelization had one thing in common. They were based not on human qualities but from the strength and control of God. I think it is important to note that we as sinners should not feel the need to help others. But when God brings us into the light he places in our hearts the ability and the will to serve and not just become do-gooders.  When I was writing these points down I saw that all had to do with letting God be in control. From receiving power and authority from the Holy Spirit to speaking with strength and conviction all must be done first with the instruction of God and only by the power he gives his followers. From God we receive compassion to not only do good deeds but to offer people life. All for the glory of God.
This week I was nominated for a position on student leadership, which is really random because I am still trying to figure out if I am even coming back for a degree next year. Maybe this is God’s way of telling me to stay. Again, I find myself asking the question “what have I learned about faith?”
I have learned that faith does not mean I know where I am going, but it mean that I trust that God knows what he is doing more than I know what I am doing.  I was thinking to myself the other day about the 4 years of wonderful OSAP that I would be chained to, and how that would most likely be put onto my parents (one of the main reasons I am doubtful about returning) and how if maybe someone would just randomly come up to me and say, don’t worry about it, then I would return. BUT, why couldn’t I just do that without someone taking care of it for me, after all God is the one who really takes care of me in the end. It then hit me that faith is not waiting for God to give me a big road sign telling me where to go, that would be too boring. Faith is being sure of who my God is, and he is faithful. Where does my hope lie? In the fact that God is in control and providing school funds is nothing for him. It’s all about stepping out and knowing that God has my back. I have trust that God will provide for this trip so I can grow during it, so if he really wants me back here, he will provide.
But after I hand in the returning forms;)


No comments:

Post a Comment